Friday, December 19, 2008

Snow Days


I'm not sure why, but I'm not an excitable person.  I mean, I think I'm relatively happy most of the time, but it's in a reserved kind of way.  I'm not prone to dancing happy jigs, squealing in unnatural octaves, clapping my hands.  

I greet Christmas with a deep breath and a sly smile.  Birthdays?  Shy and averted.  Anniversaries are a brilliant mixture of heart-felt cards, really good food and a few loving glances.  But, Snow Days?  Snow Days are a different story.

There's something completely magical about a snow day that truly compares with nothing else.  It's as if God had decided to turn the entire world a different color just for me and had informed my place of work about the importance of my ability to capture every second of it uninterupted.  And I do.  I literally set up shop in front of my big bay window with a cup of coffee (the second pot brewing, because I have time to actually enjoy it) put a pot of soup on to simmer and just watch the sky.   Snow Days are  big, bright packages of restful sanity.  You can't go anywhere.  You have to reach Wolfgang Puck status in creativity with whatever's remaining in your fridge.  You must clean behind the bookcase, because, when else are you going to be home all day?  The new bubble bath gleaming on the side of the tub is calling your name.  

But, my favorite kind of snow day?  This one.  The anticipation of waiting for the snow to fall.  The Christmas with the Rat Pack album on rotation.  The ingredients for Mocha Crinkle Christmas cookies spread all over my kitchen table.  The sweet scents of cinnamon emanating from my bread maker, already working on that cinn-raisin-honey bread I'll be eating hot with butter for lunch with some soul-warming chicken soup.  The guitar silently whispering that it's about time we spent some time together.  The christmas lights twinkling on the tree that consumes my entire dining room.  The fact that my students are all giggling about how they got out of taking their test on Animal Farm today.  Good for them.  I'm giggling, too, thinking how I got out of grading their Animal Farm test.

Snow Days are magic.  Plain and simple.  It's the reassurance that God can do amazing things.  Things beyond your comprehension.  Things that will dazzle and excite you.  Because He loves you.    Because you're worth it to Him.  

When you were in school, how did you spend your snow days?

4 comments:

Amy Crawford said...

All I have to say is, my poor Mother. Squealing for hours in pitches that neared dog-whistle ranges, tearing around the house tornado-style, and making her help me put on 20 layers to go outside, where I would play for 10 minutes and then promptly come inside soaking wet, to want to go out again an hour later. Poor woman! And it wasn't just me, there were three of us to contend with, sometimes five (she ran a daycare from the house). I've decided that snow day only equals fun if you can spend it relaxing.

My Life Plan for the Day said...

snow days for me are all about watching movies that I would only watch alone cause if i told someone else what I was watching they'd most likely make fun of me, and making snow cream!!!!

Michael Tyler Wessner said...

Haha...I love this entry!

Yvonne Stiles said...

Oh Jenny, I cannot begin to tell you how much my soul resonates with this post! It's as if you read my mind and it's very difficult to find people who share the sheer delight of snow.
Snow days begin by padding out to the living room in my PJ's anxiously watching the weather on tv. Then...a gloriously leisurely paced day full of hot chocolate, good books, picture windows, warm blankets and my Bible and journal.
I want one tomorrow!!!