Monday, June 2, 2008

Ah, Summer


I have been trying so hard to keep the wolves at bay. I've closed all the windows to avoid the wafting aroma of lilacs. I've even shut the blinds to block out the way the sun glints on the grass in the quad. I've been sweating through sweaters to maintain the seriousness of the school year. I've banned water bottles- adamantly denying their neccessity. But, today, on June 2 I could deny it no longer. I donned my brightest colored skirt, rebelliously broke the dress code by pairing it with cute gold sandals, flung the windows open and welcomed summer into my dreary little classroom.

Summer was always synonymous with fun-therefore, teachers are taught to avoid the subject entirely or you'll lose your students forever to day-dreams of sandy beaches instead of focusing on Oedipus, Act III. However, I figured since I've broken every other teacher code in the last four months, why not go out in style?

Truth is, I'm most likely more excited than they are about the summer. In fact, they might have lost me in the dreamy floral breeze slowly taking the place of the adolescent stink that hovers over my desk like their incessant requests. Mrs. Shannon, can I get my average? Ummm...what do I owe you again? The book report was due when????? Can I get an extra day? Come on, you know you love me.....

I have successfully tuned them out today. If I'm lucky, I will continue the success for the remaining three weeks.

No comments: