Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Which pool are you?


I got all of the best parts in the musicals when I was High School. It's true. According to me, that is. In each part I was able to portray the villain, the harlot, the rogue, the outcast, the loud-mouth, the extrovert-it was a hell of a lot of fun to have the license to act entirely out of the box for my personality. All of the characters I played were dynamic, authoritative, risky- in real life, I'm about as risky as a kiddie pool. I needed to get it out somewhere, and on stage was the safest place to be risky without any consequences.
As I've grown older I haven't had the stage to fall back on. My heart's been yearning for something daring. Something dangerous, even. But truthfully, I'd simply settle for something different. Even if I were still a thespian, if you will, I think I would still feel the same. There comes a time when we are mature enough to recognize that we are being called out. Called forth by God. To be daring in our faith. To be bold. To lay claim to the joy he's promised. Being on stage and pretending just wouldn't cut it anymore.
It proves to be quite a quandary, considering my still kiddie-pool status. How do I step up? Make bold leaps of faith? Simply BELIEVE that God will provide, that he loves me, I am his child and that he desires me to have the desires of my heart? How do I embrace the fact that he may be calling me into deeper waters? The diving pool even?!?
Calling all kiddie pools- panicked, demure, non-invasive, subtle, soft-spoken kiddie pools- let's figure this out together.

1 comment:

Stan said...

You got my attention with this one. Been thinking the same things.